Are you looking to work on a great farm with lots of opportunities to learn? Join us for a fun season! The scoop is that we are a 70 acre diversified farm near Syracuse in Chittenango, NY. We grow over 50 different vegetable crops on five acres, using a mix of hand and tractor cultivation, for 150 CSA shares, two summer farmers markets, and three winter markets. We are Certified Naturally Grown and a NOFA-NY Farmers’ Pledge farm. We also have a high tunnel, a heated greenhouse, 135 laying hens, a handful of pigs, and hayfields.
- This position works in all aspects of the farm, including seed starting, transplanting, weeding, tractor work, field prep, irrigation, harvesting, packing shares, marketing/record-keeping, and attending markets.
- Season runs April through October-ish (we have flexibility on the end of the season to work with your schedule).
- Most weeks are 40 to 50 hours (weather depending).
- Compensation is $9.25/hour, with vegetables, eggs, and pork from the farm, and 3 paid days off during the growing season. We also have plenty of pasture space and woods for your own animals/projects (and well-behaved dogs are welcome).
- Applicants should feel comfortable working in all kinds of weather, with the public, have a valid driver’s license, and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Ideal candidates have a season or more of farming experience.
We are committed to helping teach the next generation of farmers the technical skills needed to be successful growers, and there is considerable hands-on learning and opportunities to visit other farms. We’ve been farming since 1998, but only started this farm in 2012, so working with us is an interesting (and hopefully fun!) mix of experienced growers dealing with the ups and downs of bringing new land into production.